So much for my last run with a numb foot. I had my apt with the foot doc this afternoon. After a few attempts, he numbs up the ankle area, cleans it and then punctures the skin with a rather large syringe. I am watching it intently - I love this stuff - expecting the syringle to fill with a bloody mess of fluid and gunk. Nothing. Not even a drop! Well okay, maybe like half a cc. Let's try this again... puncture #2 about a half inch to the right. Nada. Puncture #3. Nada. "This works about 90% of the time"... the other 10% the cyst either moves about too much or is too dense. The MRI showed mine to be somewhat dispersed around the nerves and tendons but the bulk of it is right there and the doc can hold it pretty good with one hand as he tries for a final time. Nothing. It ain't being sucked out. Not today, and probably not ever.
I have three options: surgery now, live with it a while longer and have surgery later or ignore it and see if the symptoms go away (unquantifiable probability). So two options really.
Now or later. I feel it on every run, almost straight away on roads, a few miles in on trails. The ball of my foot goes numb (so I suppose technically, I don't feel it), then the base of my toes get painful. And sometimes my whole foot and lower leg feel like they are full of fluid. I could live with it and run the summer races and then take care of it. But it's not like I feel I am in super shape right now so why put it off. It's hard to tell if it's really 'impacting my racing' but I suppose it isn't helping it. And after all the donughts I had for breakfast today, I need all the help I can get. So one option then.
Now. But how soon is now? The soonest I can get surgery is 2 weeks time. So my big dilemna is do I have it then and skip Bighorn and Afton and see if I can race Voyageur. Or do I run Bighorn, then have it, skip Afton and probably Voyageur - and focus on Where's Waldo. On the one hand the choice is obvious - run the races I may never have a chance to again vs the local ones. But Afton and Voyaguer are probably my two favourite races!
I'll sleep on it.